A.I.S.E. Releases New Status Report On Liquid Laundry Detergent Capsules Voluntary Initiative

The detergents and maintenance products industry introduced risk reduction measures for liquid laundry detergent capsules in mid-2013 with A.I.S.E.’s voluntary Product Stewardship Programme (PSP).

Since then, a decrease in the number of reported accidental exposures per million capsules sold is observed in all monitored countries. The (ongoing) significant reduction measured over 30% overall and ranges from 20% to 50% depending on the country. The latest PSP status report published in June 2015 is available here.

To better understand the underlying causes of accidental exposures to detergent capsules, A.I.S.E. has been working with several Poison Control Centers (PCC) to collect specific follow-up data on accidents (‘accidentology'). The study’s findings will be published following a PCC workshop in September 2015. Today we can already disclose that child-safe storage appears to be the most critical factor.